Monday, February 22, 2010

Living the Life

So I've maintained a healthy weight for 7 weeks.  SO WHAT?!  What is next?

I have come so far.  I have done better than I ever imagined I could.  I NEVER thought I would EVER be wearing size 4 pants and XS shirts!  But I am!  I do catch myself thinking, "I shouldn't buy this.  It's crazy to buy sizes this small.  I don't wear that size.  Get real, Jen."  WHAT?!  But they fit!  It's just hard to realize sometimes that those ARE MY SIZES!  One more thought I fight against, "When I get heavier, I'm going to be so sad that these clothes don't fit.  I shouldn't buy them."  NO!!!!!  I'm NEVER getting heavy again.  I'm NEVER going back!  I am so healthy and finally where I am supposed to be.  This is where I will spend the rest of my life.  That means I have to make sacrifices!  For the rest of my life, I will:

- track everything I eat (it's REALLY NOT THAT BAD! :) )
- exercise 5-6 days per week
- make sure I get my healthy choices in - all my fruits, veggies, dairy, healthy oils, lean protein, whole grains
- remember to say "no thank you" when I know that's what I should say.
- remember that with this lifestyle I can eat ANYTHING I want - just not EVERYTHING I want.

To keep me on track, I set some goals for myself - I posted those in the last post - on a non-Monday post day.  (click on the link "Where to go from here?" to catch up if you missed it!)

Here's my weekly update:

First, my Monday weigh-in:
Goal weight range: 144-148
Current weight: 145.4 (up .4 since last week - I lost this same .4 the week before, so I'm happy that I'm truly "maintaining" - staying very close to the same weight week-to-week!)
Days of exercise: 6

Now, for the goals I set:
I found a local 5K/10K schedule.  Here are races I am planning to enter:
June 5, 2010 - New Balance Girls on the Run 5K - I will RUN (not walk!) this race at Walsh University
July 24, 2010 - Muddy Paws Trail Run - 5K/10K - I will walk/run this 10K in Peninsula.

On my elliptical, my goal was to be able to do 3.2 miles in 40 minutes, averaging a 12.5 minute mile - on the 3rd resistance level(by today).  This week I was able to do 3.3 miles in that 40 minutes!  It KILLED me this week!  That's a 12.1 minute mile, and I'm VERY happy with that success.  I've decided to change my approach.  Please understand, all of this is new to me.  I've never been a runner/racer - so I've never set goals like this for myself.  After talking with Matt, he let me know that maybe I should be getting to the 4 miles on the elliptical - and try to bring my time down.  Instead of getting on the elliptical and limiting it to 40 minutes - I should make it to the 4 miles and try to bring the time down to 40 minutes.  So, my ultimate goal is by April 1 I will be able to do 4 miles in 40 minutes!!!  To help me get there, I'm doing some leg-strengthening exercises as well.  I really want to blow away this 5K in June!

One last goal, and I didn't quite have the totals right in my last email.  My WW leader, Barb(who I LOVE!), set a goal for us with our pedometers.  It's called the Winter Olympic Step Challenge.  Here are the parameters:

Bronze Medal:  50,00 Step Week - An Average of 7,143 Steps per Day.
Silver Medal:  75,000 Step Week - An Average of 10,715 Steps per Day.
Gold Medal:  100,000 Step Week - An Average of 14,286 Steps per Day.

I started the challenge on Thursday.  I would love to go for gold, but it is HARD! The weekend was very hard - without teaching, and with doing my elliptical workout (I don't wear the pedometer for workouts - I consider that "double-dipping") it was hard to get more than 10,000. So I'm trying hard for gold, but if not, silver will be a sinch!

For me, it's very important to still have goals to reach.  I would like to make it to April 1 - not only doing my 4 miles in 40 minutes, but also still within my goal weight range.  I would like to make it to April 1 and not have gone over that goal range at any point (or under!)
I'm not ignoring Matt, I promise! 

Here's his stats:
Goal weight range:  198-202
Current weight:  201.4 (no change!)
Days of exercise:5

Matt has done a great job of keeping his weight right where it needs to be and is maintaining really well - even with his increased exercise.  He has SWAT school coming up soon, and he really needs to be in great shape when he gets there.  He's working hard to be more on top of things before he goes!  He has done really well upping his fruits and veggies this week - and he's kept up breakfast.  He has probably eaten 3 servings of fruits/veggies each day, only missed breakfast 1 day (I let him sleep in until almost lunch, that's why!), and he worked out 5 days this week.  He's doing great and I'm pushing him to not become complacent and fall back into old habits.  The only thing Matt's going to work on weight-wise is weighing in with more clothing on and staying at his same weight.  That's the goal for this next week!  A little more clothing - and still in that 198-202 range!  He may have to adjust points to do that.


One last thought before I sign off.  I know that the focus of my blog has been our weight loss - and now our maintenance of that weight loss.  I worry that it appears as though all I think about is what I eat, my exercise and what size my pants are.  It seems so shallow.  Please don't think that!!!  We entered the Lenten season this past week and I have some other goals as well - including maintaining my New Year's Resolution to not miss a week of mass, giving more to charity and doing a daily meditation time with God.  I would also like to start my gratitude journal again.  I wrote about my gratitude journal in my Christmas letter and have ignored it some since our last miscarriage.  It's time to bring it back out and remind myself how great God is to me on a daily basis - even on the "bad" days.  If I was writing in that journal right now, I would write about how thankful I am to have people who read my blog every week and have supported me through this weight loss.  What wonderful friends you are!

Keep an eye on Facebook - I may start posting on other days besides Mondays - recipes, etc. - but I will ALWAYS post on Mondays to give my weigh-in.  YOU keep me accountable, not just my meeting!

No comments: