Monday, May 24, 2010

Still hanging in. . .

      Last week I sent out a letter to my students telling them about my RIF.  It was one of the hardest letters ever to write, because I knew a lot of them would be sad to hear about me leaving (some of them may be doing a dance of joy!  Who knows?!)  I am starting to hear from parents and students - expressing their sadness about me leaving Stow.  It's overwhelming at times, but certainly wonderful to feel loved by these students and their families.  I will miss them.

      I am still waiting on things with Walsh - I have to get my MAT scores (which should be coming this week) and then I'm sure there will be an admissions interview.  I would really LOVE to have that acceptance letter IN HAND before the end of the school year to feel like I'm secure and know what's happening in the fall!!!!!

     As far as running goes, I suffered a small set back this past week.  I have been running (as you can see from my "Monthly Miles" on the right) about 5 times per week on average.  My run Thursday STUNK.  My knees hurt a chunk of the run and a while afterward.  I have been doing some research - both online reading and talking with running friends (thanks, guys!) about "runners knee" and ways to make it better.  Oddly enough, Matt has been suffering some knee issues (which he has had off and on forever) and just went to the doctor.  The doc said that he (and therefore I) need to do more cross-training and cut back on how OFTEN I run.  So this week I will be cutting back to 3-4 runs instead of 5 - I will probably not go more than 4 any week from here on out.  On other days I will be lifting and cross-training with my bike or elliptical.  I will also be doing some steps/stairs workouts to help strengthen my quads.  Doc thinks that our quads are weak, which is affecting our knees - that lack of strength is straining the tendons and causing the pain. Once we strengthen those muscles through other means, it should kick things into gear again.  I have registered for my first RUNNING 5K - which is June 5.  I'm really excited to do that and will be so happy to finish - but am also setting a personal goal of finishing under 30 minutes.  I'd be THRILLED with that!!!!  If any of you reading have other thoughts on the knee thing and want to share - I'm ready to hear whatever you have to say!  I LOVE to run, and don't want this to become a PERMANENT set back. . .

     That's what's going on with us - we celebrated my Mom and her 70th birthday this year - my sister, Gwen, came home for the weekend and it was so wonderful to have the whole family together.  It's truly food for the soul being with all of them.  Hooray!!!!

No comments: