Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"Too Skinny"

Ok, so I'm getting comments that are frustrating me, so I'm going to address it.  You are my faithful readers, after all!

     For a long time, I was very unhappy with my body.  Matt was ALWAYS happy with the way I looked, God bless him, but didn't like that I tore myself down because of my appearance.  And I didn't like that about myself either, but I just wasn't happy.  After our 2nd miscarriage in June (09), I was at a new all-time high weight-wise and felt so ugly.  I know that my friends and family NEVER saw me that way and would NEVER say that to me, but that's how I felt.  Part of it was also the grief we were going through, and my feelings of inadequacy due to 2 miscarriages on top of being heavy.

     I decided to do something about it.  I joined WW and started exercising.  Here I am 10 months later, and I weigh 72 pounds less than I did then.  I did it by learning great eating habits and exercising regularly - the way you're "supposed to".

    Now, I'm being faced with "too skinny" comments.  People telling me that they think I've gotten too thin, too skinny, and they're "worried" about me. I have approached my accountability buddies about this and have gotten such great support.  They know me, because they've been with me through this.  Here's a statement that I got from one of them that is EXACTLY how I feel about this:

"I have worked really hard at developing HEALTHY eating habits and I've been sticking to a workout regime that is making me stronger and healthier.  Perhaps it's hard for me to remember just how much heavier I was and the transformation that you all have seen in such a short time.  But, trust me.  It's been a road that I have traveled with professional guidance and I am healthy now.  Thank you for being concerned, though."

    I am shifting the focus of my blog from "weight-loss/weight-maintenance" to the rest of my life - and my running!  I need the accountability of checking in with you each week, but don't want to give you the impression that I'm "obsessed" with weight-loss.  Please understand it's been a big focus in my life these last 10 months, and that's not truly going to stop, it just changes focus:  I am VERY excited about my upcoming races.  I will continue to share life struggles with you - whether they're physical, emotional, spiritual, etc.  I will post my weekly weigh-in (because I do still go to WW and weigh in each week - they keep tabs on me, too!) on a side bar to the right of my blog - around my Monthly Miles.  (and Matt's, too!)

Thanks for your support through this journey.  It's not over.  I will be conscious of my body forever, like many of us are.  I have learned strategies that help me keep myself healthy, and I will work with those forever.  This is just another step along the way. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen, I know how you feel about the "too skinny" comments...I've gotten those too, and they are annoying! My weight loss is simply from chasing 2 kids around, and not getting to eat full meals b/c I have to share with the kids, etc.,etc....LOL! One of my relatives asked me if I was eating enough, and that really hurt me. I just lost the baby weight faster this time around, and I can't help it! I felt like people thought I had an eating disorder, and that was really hurtful. I would start to get defensive a little when people would comment on my weight loss, because of that comment that was made to me. I just keep reminding myself that I know I am at a healthy weight, and I eat like I always have, and am not depriving myself of food (nor will I ever do that!). Now I think twice when I comment on other people's weight (which I normally just keep my mouth shut now, so I know I don't offend anyone)!

You are doing GREAT, and you have the best support system you could ask for. Just keep up the good work, and be proud of the "new you", and know that you are staying healthy, even if you continue to get those comments. Big Hugs to you!! :) Love ya!

Heidi :)