Monday, April 19, 2010

I AM A RUNNER.

      I'm back to RUNNING!  I had taken some time off because of shin pain and I'm back to it and LOVING it!  I never dreamed I would love to run, but I'm hooked.  It's so fun!  (No, really.  :) )  I'm training by body for my first running race - a 5K in June.  I was up to 2-2.5 miles per run, but I was pushing too far too fast.  I could do it, but I was really hurting my shins by trying too much.  I scaled back to 1 mile runs every day last week (except Friday).  My friend, Dan, is acting as my unofficial running coach, and I'm so happy for the help/advice.  He's having me increase my daily runs to 1.1 - only a 10% increase, and adding one long run a week.  I was supposed to run 3.1 yesterday and ran 3.3 by mistake - no really - I thought I had to run to my normal "stop and walk home" spot and apparently could have stopped a ways back to be done with the 5K.  I was really excited about my time - 33.5 minutes for a 3.3 is great for my first long run.  I will do that every Sunday until race day, and may add some length to those runs as well.  I'd love to do a 10K in July, so adding to those longer runs - like up to 4, 5, 6 miles closer to that time - would make a 10K possible!

     Here's a shout-out to my run coach, Dan.  You rock.  :)  You can't get out of this coach gig now.

      I can't share any more about what's going on with us yet.  I will know more this week and will be able to post details next Monday.  I am very much at peace with everything going on, so please pray that this is as right as I think it is, because I really believe it is.  God works in mysterious ways, right?  Thank you for your prayers!

**** In case you missed my last post - "Too Skinny" - I'm changing the focus of my blog from my weight to my running and the rest of our lives.  My weigh-in update is still posted - but off to the right side of the blog under my Monthly Miles.****

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Your title says it all. Yes you are! Great training advice, and glad you've got a coach! Praying for your big stuff coming up, too :)

Amy said...

Way to go, you Runner, you! :) Love hearing your updates.