Thursday, September 20, 2012

Remember

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.  John 15:13

I remember what Jason (Damon's brother) said as we gathered to honor and remember Damon (sorry, Jason, if I mince the words a bit, but this is pretty close):

He wanted to serve.  But he didn't just want to serve, he wanted to be a medic.  He didn't just want to be a medic, he wanted to be a combat medic. 

      And he was.  He was a combat medic with the 82nd Airborne division, truly helping and saving people every day. He was a true hero - my hero.

Damon Gabriel Winkleman: February 25, 1986 - September 20, 2009

     The pictures that flow around Facebook of military men and women on planes, in airports - hugging their families, saying goodbye or meeting their babies for the first time - they bring me to my knees.  These men and women do what I'm not able to.  They give up the every day joy of being at home with their family to serve and protect me, you, their family, and everyone else in this country they haven't met. 

      They will do it for complete strangers, willingly, because they're called to.  It's not a calling I received or can even imagine answering.  They do it every day, sacrificing so much, sometimes sacrificing it all. 

       Damon gave it all.  He doesn't get to graduate from college, go to med school, get married, have children, retire.  But he served.  He saved lives.  Even in his death. 

(From Jason)
It was 2 instead of 20. 

You see, they were going to an area of recent conflict, and Damon's humvee was first.  He wanted to get there to help those who were wounded, he wanted to be there first.  And because he was first, his humvee was the first to come under attack.  It stopped the whole caravan.  After searching the area, it was found that there were land mines everywhere.  Without Damon (and Korey Kowall, another member of the 82nd in Damon's humvee) and his sacrifice, the whole unit could have been lost.  It was 2 lives lost instead of 20.

I miss Damon.  I wish he could have met Kate.  I wish he was here to see the new babies in our home church.  I wish...

But this was his wish: to serve, to protect.  And I will never forget.

No comments: