Friday, August 17, 2012

Where is the LOVE?

(First, I can't believe I haven't posted in my blog since May. That's despicable...I'm just busy, I guess! I miss this...)

Ok, let's get down to the heart of the matter. I am seriously troubled by the Facebook posts, the commercials on TV, and the conversations I hear. You know what I hear?

HATE.

"You're a __________ (insert political party)?!?! Unfriend me now and save me the trouble".

"You support ______________ business?!?! You obviously don't care about me, and don't deserve to be my friend".

"You support _____________ (insert "hot" political issue: gay marriage, abortion, etc.)?!?! You're a horrible person - or - you're full of sin!"

I could go on (because there are more).

Would you say those things to my face?

      As a part of the "Facebook world", I choose not to share my political views (I wonder why??? See above). When you look at the "info" or "about" on my timeline, you will find: Political Views: "yep, I have them". Quite frankly, if I want to talk with you about my political views, I will. However, it's not MY place to try to influence you on political issues! I may be extremely opposed to something you support whole-heartedly. Are you any less my friend as a result? I hope not! Don't we live in a world where we're trying to encourage each other to be open-minded and accepting?

        And no one is immune to this.  It's not just THEM that are not accepting YOU. It's coming from both sides. And it's crushing me.

       I love getting on Facebook and catching up with friends who I never get to see: following their progress through working out; seeing their children grow up; hearing about their latest vacation, etc. What I really can't stand seeing is all the HATE that is coming up everywhere on these posts! WHY?!?!

        Two men are running for the office of President of the United States. They each have a running mate. These men are representatives of our country to the whole world. Which one of them do you really think is putting out a good face to the world right now? How many of you want to put Obama/Romney commercials out there for other countries to see? Would you be proud of your candidate? Why is it that we have to run these campaigns (with SO MUCH MONEY) on HATE? WHY?!?!?!
Maybe I'm naïve. Is there a magic answer that I'm not seeing?

      I love posting on Facebook.  You all know this as you read my posts, look at the thousands of pictures of Kate, and drag yourself through my list of workouts. It's a great way for me to feel connected to some people I haven't seen or talked to in a long time and a great way for those far away to keep updated on Matt, Kate, and I. That being said...

      I am seriously thinking of going away from Facebook, at least for a little while. I still have to think about it and decide if it's worth it to stay a part of a network that is so negative...and risk missing these kinds of things:

- Friends who are adopting a baby who has Downs Syndrome so that he doesn't have to live in an orphanage.

- Updates about a friend who's very young husband has life-threatening cancer.

- Pictures and videos of children I never get to see because they live hundreds of miles away.

- Laughing at friends' jokes.

- Supporting friends who are struggling.

- Celebrating with friends who are succeeding.

           I honestly wonder if I put it out there - if I told you all what I believe about each and every issue (did you know it's possible to not follow party lines on EVERYTHING?)or who I'm planning to vote for -would youchange how you feel about me? Have I changed how I feel about you? Not for that reason, certainly.  What has shocked me is the hate coming from people I never expected to see it from. I want to be free to believe in what I believe in, support who I want to support, shop where I want to shop, vote for who I want to vote for, and do it without being criticized. The sad thing is, when I'm on Facebook, or even turn on the TV and hear those ads, I don't think I can.
WHERE IS THE LOVE?

No comments: