Friday, May 4, 2012

40 by 40

So I wanted to have this list done before I turned 30, but life got in the way.  I was looking at my 30th birthday with mixed feelings, but mostly I was looking forward to this new set of numbers.  It kind of felt like I was getting a fresh start, which I think everyone wants every once in a while.  Some may call this a bucket list.  I often encourage myself to live life as if it could end at any time, but I'm going to call this my "40 by 40" list, because assuming I live to 40, I will have some additions for the rest of my life beyond 40.  This list has a deadline: September 25, 2021.  I've been working on this list of 40 things for a while. 

1.     Stay connected to God every day.
2.     Continue to worship in church regularly.
3.     Finish having children (not sure how many that will be…but I’m hoping to not have any past the age of 40.  It may have worked well for my mom, but I’m not sure it’s for me J.  God may have other plans!)
4.     Run 40 races (I have 6 scheduled this summer/fall so far!).
5.     Run a half-marathon.  This one feels like cheating because I have it scheduled for September, but I really want to do this and I think it deserves a spot. I really want to RUN it – not walk it, so hopefully I can run the whole thing in September.  If not, I’ll have to keep workin’!
6.     Give blood 40 times (I have twice already this year, but with the strike, it’s been hard to find them!)
7.     Maintain my Lifetime status as a Weight Watcher, and therefore, maintain my weight (yeah, I know it will go up during and after pregnancies, but I'm talking about the in-betweens and AFTER).
8.     Graduate with my master's degree (I know I’ll finish someday…).
9.     Work as a counselor.
10.  Work for Weight Watchers OR work in some capacity (counseling??) helping people who struggle with weight loss.
11.  Learn to snow ski...Matt has been bothering me about this since we met.
12.  Learn to wake board.
13.  Learn to use my sewing machine.
14.  Learn to crochet.
15.  Learn to knit.
16.  Learn sign language.
17.  Travel to California.
18.  Take Kate (and other little ones, too, I guess!) to Disney (world or land, I don’t care…although I do love Disneyworld).
19.  Take Kate (+) to the beach.
20.  Get to at least 10 more ballparks (we have been to 10 MLB parks and are hoping to hit them all someday!).
21.  See another Broadway show – in NY.
22.  Take Matt to D.C. for Police Week.
(I’m worried all these travel wishes are unrealistic in 9+ years…)
23.  Take Kate to a COW football game. 
24.  Teach Kate about God (we’re working on it already!)
25.  Teach Kate to play piano.
26.  Teach Kate to ride a bike.
27.  Teach Kate so many more things – like to share, to say “thank you”, to play catch…
28.  Send Kate to Kindergarten – and survive it (scary thought: most likely send baby #2 to Kindergarten, too…).
29.  Move to a bigger house (yep, this one fits for now, but maybe not after another little Rahde...or another...no, that's not a hint).
30.   Get a tattoo (I have one planned).
31.   Go to a Karaoke bar (the closest I will likely ever come to singing ‘on stage’). 
32.   Get a yearly massage (I wish it could be more often, but $$...and I better get on this before September!).
33.   Take a cooking class.
34.   Take a photography class.
35.   Take a Zumba class (or another dance/fitness class, but I REALLY want to try Zumba!).
36.  Play trumpet in a band/orchestra performance again.
37.   Sing in a choir performance again.
38.   Finish the dozen scrapbooks I need to do…which by the time I’m 40 will be more like 10 dozen…
39.   Create a new recipe (that is worth sharing on Pinterest ;))
40.    Live life every day as if it were my last.  Hug those I love and tell them how much I love them.  Live each day striving to make God and my dad proud.

No comments: