Now, this is somewhat anti-climactic since I have already changed the title on my blog, so you know what it is: Choosing to Dance. But if you'll humor me, walk with me as I tell you how I got there.
My family had a favorite vacation/fishing spot in Canada - Rock Lake - which was sacred to us for many years. (Now, Emily, if you're reading this, correct me if I get this wrong). In 2000, my niece, Emily, and I were both at Rock Lake. She introduced me to a song: Lee Ann Womack's I Hope You Dance. At the time, I really enjoyed listening to the song, and thought the lyrics were beautiful, but the meaning was not clear to me then. That ended up being my dad's last trip to Rock Lake. The following February, I was faced with one of the major losses in my life when my dad was killed in an accident on Lake Erie. When planning his funeral service, it was decided that my siblings and I would each read scripture to honor my dad, and we could also share something special about him as a part of that time. I thought about what I loved about my dad, and there were so many things. But overall, he had such an amazing spirit and passion for life. He wanted his children and grandchildren to love God and love life. Pretty soon, I was looking for that song (I've never said it, but thank you, Emily). Many of you know I'm an emotional basket-case and cry at the drop of a hat. That day, I made it through the lyrics to that song - all of them. It was important to me to give that huge crowd a message I felt my dad would deliver had he been able to do so himself: I HOPE YOU DANCE.
If you've never heard the song, you should. Here is a link to a YouTube video of the song. Listen to it, please. Here are the lyrics. If nothing else, for me, read through them.
I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake
But it's worth making
Don't let some hell bent heart
Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider
Give the heavens above
More than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
(Where those years have gone)
I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
Dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
I hope you dance
(Where those years have gone)
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
(Where those years have gone)
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake
But it's worth making
Don't let some hell bent heart
Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider
Give the heavens above
More than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
(Where those years have gone)
I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
Dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
I hope you dance
(Where those years have gone)
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
(Where those years have gone)
I look at where my life is now. Since losing Dad, I finished college, worked for 8 years as a teacher, and am 2/3 done with my Master's Degree. More important than all that, I met a man who changed my life. Matt has loved me more than I ever thought someone could. My dad would have loved Matt and I wish they could have met. We have a beautiful home together in a community we love. We seek out God, love Him, and worship Him. Now we have Kate. We have a beautiful baby girl that we wanted for so long.
I pray. I run. I cook. I play. I sing. I love. I DANCE. I often think about what Dad would say if he were here. Would he be proud of me? When I listen to this song, I picture him smiling.
Daddy, I have the choice - and I'm choosing to dance.
1 comment:
Beautifully written, Jen. How could he not be proud of YOU? ;)
Post a Comment