Let me give you some background.
I'm a Lifetime member of Weight Watchers, as many of you know. I have fought obesity off and am winning the fight. I will fight to keep myself here for the rest of my life, which for me, means counting points, exercising, and going to WW meetings. But, MAN OH MAN do I get looks when I go to those meetings! Yes, I'm very thin. Yes, I'm very in shape. I'm PROUD of that. But there are people in those meetings who give me NASTY looks. As if they're saying, "What are YOU doing here, skinny girl?" Here's where I would have a disclaimer shirt that reads:
I USED TO BE OBESE.
Some people come to WW to lose 20 pounds. Some come to lose 5-10. Then there are people like me who lost 75. SEVENTY-FIVE. There are some who come to lose more. So once they hit that goal and are dedicated enough to keep coming, we start giving them looks? Maybe I need to wear this shirt.
I think there are situations when you want to have those shirts. My other disclaimers might tell something about the grief I've endured in my 30 years: MY DAUGHTER HAS NO GRANDPAS or WE LOST 2 ANGEL BABIES. Or brag about accomplishments that I'm proud of: I BREASTFED MY BABY FOR MORE THAN A YEAR. I USE CLOTH DIAPERS. I'M A GRADUATE STUDENT!
I don't remember looking at the Lifetime members at WW the way these folks are looking at me, but maybe I did. Couldn't this disclaimer shirt idea go farther? Don't we often judge "books by their cover" (to be totally cliche)? Would you think differently if they wore a shirt that told you what they have endured in their life, or what they feel you NEED to know before you judge them?
I'm going to assume there is more to people than what I see. I think I do that already, but maybe I'm wrong. What about you? Will you challenge yourself to see others as people who have fought through life, too?
What would YOUR disclaimer shirt say?
2 comments:
Shake them haters off!! I think it's incredible what you have accomplished. It's unfortunate that you get looks like that. Maybe like you said, those people don't really know your story. Too often we are all too quick to judge, especially in a fitness setting. Each person goes through different challenges in their life. All of our bodies are different. You worked incredibly hard to get where you are and have such a great story to share. It is easy for others to be jealous of your success rather than see it as inspiration for all the hard work you have done. Right now, my shirt would say I'm not fat, I'm pregnant. All of us carry weight differently. If there was one easy answer or pill, we'd all be super skinny and healthy but it's not the case. Don't let this get you down. You have such an amazing story to share.
I AM NOT IN THIS FIELD FOR THE MONEY.
I HAVE THICK WALLS BECAUSE I'VE BEEN BURNED SO MANY TIMES.
I AM USED TO BEING OVERLOOKED.
Thanks for this, Jen. I think that we have talked about this in the past- but I feel like we need these shirts! Also, we all need ones that read:
I ALMOST QUIT THIS PROGRAM BECAUSE OF INTRO.
:) I love you!
Post a Comment