Sunday, December 18, 2011

In awe...

This past week I went to a funeral.  It was the mother of former students.  This family has been through a horrible, horrible year, now ending with the loss of their amazing mother, right before Christmas.  When at her beautiful 'Celebration of Life' ceremony, one of the eulogists said, "she taught me to be in awe of my children, but teach them to be humble".  Those words struck me - because they were exactly the words I had been looking for, but couldn't find.  I am IN AWE of my child.  

Are other parents as in awe of their children as I am?  Or am I just that "new mom"? (I can hear it, "oh just wait until your 2nd one.  Nothing's a big deal anymore."  REALLY?!!?!?!  I DON'T THINK SO!) Either way, make fun or 'chuckle' at my naivete, I don't care.  I am IN AWE of my child.

     18 short months ago (or so), 2 cells came together.  2 CELLS - that's it!  So small, you need a microscope to see them.  Tonight, the product of those 2 cells pulled herself up in the tub, she waved 'bye-bye' to her daddy, and showed us that she is 'SO BIG'!  2 cells - now Kate.  Kate that screams (joyful, playing screams) so loud when she plays that my ears ring.  Kate that smiles so big that my heart stops.  Kate that kisses me when I make kissing sounds.  Kate that says "Mom" and "up".  Kate that crawls, and now, pulls herself up.

    I tell my mom the things that Kate does, and while she is so excited, she doesn't seem to understand or share my extreme, overwhelming excitement.  Do I think that Kate is so amazingly extraordinary that no other 8.5 month olds are doing what she is?  NO!  I am just in awe watching her learn, watching her grow, watching her unfold into the person she is going to be. 

    I think about Mary.  I think about the child, Jesus, that she watched grow and learn.  My heart jumps for joy and aches all at the same time when I see Kate doing new things.  It's so wonderful, but she's changing and growing so fast.  I think about Mary, so many years ago, and her love for God's son - her son.  She loved Him, had those heart-tugging moments, and then watched Him give up His life to save all of us.  Oh Mary, I am in awe of you, too.

   As I nursed Kate in her rocking chair, like I have done so many nights, I just stared.  She is such a wonderful, beautiful blessing that has been given to us.  She is the best Christmas gift I could have ever asked for.

 Kate, I am in awe of you, and I always will be.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Loved this. <3 to you, Matt and Kate.