Saturday, August 13, 2011

Granola? maybe...

Matt and I had a recent conversation about the change in our lives.  We have always been earth-conscious, but have recently really been watching our lifestyle and how it affects the earth.  In addition, we are trying to keep Kate on a "natural as possible" plan in life...and I think it makes me kind of "granola" as the kids are saying these days...another word for "tree-hugger", I guess you would say...and I'm pretty proud of it.

I actually took a quiz when I was pregnant that was linked from one of my frequently visited sites asking "How Granola are You?"  I scored pretty low - I think it labeled me "sprinkled with granola".   I re-took the quiz today and got the score "Pretty damn crispy"  LOL.  I love it.

Before I go on with my "crunchy" conversation, I want to talk about a couple conversations I've had with a couple people lately on "mom"-ing.  I APPLAUD EVERY MOM OUT THERE WHO TAKES CARE OF THEIR CHILD, NO MATTER HOW THEY DECIDE TO DO IT.  Did you have a natural birth?  You're a rock star.  Choose to have an epidural?  Good for you!  Do you co-sleep?  It's awesome that that works for your family.  Does your child sleep in his/her own room?  If that's what's best for you, then that's awesome.  Whether you breast or bottle feed, use cloth or disposable, work or stay-home, do organic or whatever is cheapest - as long as you love and care for your child - it doesn't matter.  You're a mom (OR A DAD!!!!  Wanna give some good "dad-love", too :)) and I am constantly blown away by how amazing parents really are...and I hope I can be as amazing as many of these parents I know are to Kate...


Ok, back to granola...


We don't co-sleep...but I do bring Kate to bed some nights/early mornings if she just can't settle down.  Gives me a "sprinkled with granola" feel.


We cloth diaper.


I exclusively breastfeed and plan to do so for a while.  I personally will want to stop around a year to 18 months...but I do love nursing my baby.


I eat mostly organic fruits, vegetables, dairy products and meats.


And it goes on...


I never expected to be this way.  I never thought I would be "granola" - not that I ever saw anything wrong with being this way, I just never viewed myself this way, until I had Kate, and it just came naturally.  Personally, it works for us (and I know it doesn't for some), and it feels SO GOOD. :)


I guess many of you are wondering (LOL like "many" are reading - haha)...so what's your point, Rahde?  Going back to my "appreciating all types of parents" bit, I think sometimes we label people who are more "earthy" as "weird" or "eccentric" or "tree-huggers", and it's really just the way we're choosing to parent.  I don't judge anyone who chooses to do something differently than we do it - I just really LIKE doing things this way!  Just to reiterate what I was saying and copy from a friend's recent post about sending her daughter to preschool...let us parent the way that feels right.  Let us parent the way we see does our children best.  Don't judge, don't be critical, or skeptical, or patronizing.  We all love our children and do our best to take care of them...

Right?

No comments: