Saturday, August 13, 2011

Breastfeeding is my choice - just look away.

Ok, folks.  Let's talk.  Breastfeeding is my choice.  I love doing it, and I KNOW it's not for everyone.  But it's my choice to do this for my daughter and my family.  Let's just start with that...


In the 50s-60s - breastfeeding got a bum rap because the formula companies were really pushing their products, so they were saying that it was bad for babies to do, etc.  Since then, breastfeeding has had a "stigma".  There is a new wave of moms in the past few years that are really trying to turn things around and help people know that breastfeeding can be a great thing!


Now...when I started breastfeeding, I was very, very, very shy.  I would put my cover on in front of most family members (not moms, but others), and would NEVER "N.I.P" - or nurse in public.  Then, I got a little more adventurous.  I would take my cover with me and nurse in public that way.  Recently, I've freed myself.  With the help of my supportive husband and friends, I now nurse, cover-free, whenever Kate needs it.


***GASP***




This doesn't mean I have my boobs (sorry, yep, I said boobs) floppin' around everywhere for all to see.  I always wear a nursing tank, so my belly-area is covered.  I always wear an over-shirt, so I can pull it down to where Kate meets my breast, and I'm very discrete.  Can I say, though, how NICE IT IS???  Kate HATES (I mean DETESTS) my cover, and she eats so much better and faster without it.  I get looks.  I get stares.  I'm sure people talk about me and are uncomfortable.  Please know, folks, I'm not trying to "make a statement" or "show off my stuff" or embarrass anyone.  Just like a bottle-fed mom pulls a bottle out of their diaper bag, I'm just trying to feed my child.  


"So go to the bathroom and do it, lady".

BLECH!  Ew!!!  I had a friend respond to this lately on her FB page and it CRACKED ME UP.  Just something to make them all think:
So I was on the toilet this morning, eating an awesome piece of pizza and...What? You think there's something wrong with eating in the bathroom? Did that gross you out? Then why do people suggest breastfeeding mothers feed their babies in the bathroom? 
 It's true.  I don't want to feed Kate where people do that.  I promise, I'll be good.  I'll be modest.  I'll behave.  But sometimes, I want to do what this one mama said she does...again...SERIOUSLY FUNNY.
  When I nurse at the mall, I try to sit in front of the giant posters at Victoria's Secret. They use breasts larger than my head to sell bras. I'm just feeding my kid. You want to gawk? Look over my shoulder. 
 Just sayin'.  Whether you love nursing or bottle-feeding, don't judge.  We're just trying to feed our kids! 

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Ok, Rahde, you know I love you...but...I breastfed all my children each over or at least a year. I used and washed cloth diapers. Most people I knew at the time did the same. My point is that this was 26 years ago...not "over the last few years." Ok, just had to get that off my chest...heehee! :)

Kelly L.

Rachel said...

Nicely said!!!

Janna and Randy said...

I am so proud of you for getting this way with your first!! With Kaid I would find a dressing room to hide in or go out to the hot car and hide there... Kason I got braver and did anywhere with a cover-up. Good for you. We are really trying to up the BFing % at work, which is hard when so many have "that" view of BFing.
BFing is such a wonderful thing and I love it that yet another BF has that BF view!