Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Cookies

    Who doesn't love cookies?  As I was baking cookies this past week, I started thinking about what cookies mean to me.  Not just the sugar, the chocolate, but the memories. 

My dad LOVED cookies - and pie, cake - he wasn't particular.

    This year, my dad would have celebrated his 70th birthday on December 12th.  Not only did he have a sweet tooth, he was a sweet man.

     My sister, Beth, wrote an email to my family earlier this year.  It was exactly how I choose to remember my dad, I can't say it any better.  The week of his birthday, I want to share it with you. 

Cheers to Dad

So - cheers to Dad for.....
 - the MANY things he taught us
 - the love he shared with us
 - for marrying Mom
 - for all his jokes (which we continue to tell many)
 - for showing us how to be a Christian
 - for sharing his strong singing voice
 - for teaching us to focus on others, not on ourselves
 - for starting the Apple Butter tradition
 - for his big nose
 - for showing us that we don't have to have money to have a good time
 - for showing us how to respect others and have a good work ethic (thus - we all work our butts off!)
 - for teaching us how to fish
 - for sharing his fishing tricks
 - for teaching us how to enjoy sitting in a boat, listening to nature, even when the fish aren't biting
 - for displaying a 'strong will'
 .....you know, I could go on and on.  But I'll just close with...cheers to Dad for just being "Dad".  We all know that he loved us - no matter what - and someday, we'll all be together again....in heaven - singing the Doxology in four part harmony!!!!!!  


Here's to you, Dad.  I miss you every day and can't tell you how much I wish you were here so we could celebrate your 70th in person.  I wish you could have met Matt and all the wonderful spouses who have married into this family since we lost you.  I wish you could meet Roo and all the rest of your grandchildren and great-grandchildren that you never met here.  I know you know them.  I know you see us all.  We love you and think of you often.  

1 comment:

Janna and Randy said...

Happy 70th Stan. You couldn't have said it better - he was such a sweet man and always showed how much he cared. We all miss you!