Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Why I love sports

      When I was a little girl, I idolized my father and my brothers.  I loved (and still dearly love) my sisters and my mom, but was crazy about those special boys in my life.  My dad was a huge sports fan and had strict rules about who you cheered for and why, and I reveled in being a part of that with him.  Dad was a Browns fan, an Indians fan, and an Ohio State fan (yep, and I cheer for Michigan.  Dad and I had to disagree sometimes, right?  I had to be the contrary daughter once in a while, right? :) ).  We didn't watch hockey (we didn't have cable) and Dad hated the NBA.  Dad's true love was really baseball.  He himself played baseball in high school and always talked about how he got a hit off of Dean Chance.  Dad was a catcher and loved the game.  I'm sure that love was what inspired my brother, John, to play baseball and he was an awesome outfielder and quite a base runner.
        I was never an athlete.  I "ran track" in 8th grade, and all I did was jump.  I was a long jumper and a high jumper.  I was actually pretty good at high jumping, but my long jumping stunk.  I was a horrible runner and the track career was quite short lived.  I danced ballet for 10 years and, of course, found more passion in music than in playing sports.  However, it didn't stop me from loving the game.
       There's nothing like losing yourself in a game.  Forgetting the troubles of the world and cheering your team on, loudly and proudly.  Yes, they're overpaid.  Yes, they're over-hyped.  Yes, I know, I know, I know. . .but I love it.
       Now, my favorite nights are the nights I'm flipping between 3 sporting events and can hardly keep track of it all.  The other night, I was able to watch hockey, basketball and baseball all in one night - had it been a Monday, my night would have been complete - adding football to the mix.
       I found another man that I love so dearly that loves sports, too.  I think Matt sometimes wonders if he's died and gone to heaven - he has a wife that is as excited about sports as he is - if not more so.  We went on a baseball honeymoon to Boston and Baltimore - starting the baseball park tour that we hope to finish someday in our marriage.  (We've now also done both New York parks, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Tampa Bay and D.C.) One night in late spring a few years ago, we were at an Indians game.  The Tribe was playing Detroit and lost.  It was a major bummer.  Right across the street, the Cavs were playing Detroit as well - in the playoffs.  We walked out of Jacobs Field and onto the plaza, where we watched the Cavs beat the Pistons on a huge screen with thousands of other fans.  That night ended up being one of our favorite sports memories.  We love sharing those sports moments together.
     I know there are things in life that are more important than sports.  I will choose being with family or friends over a game any day of the week.  Just know I'll be checking the score later.  Oh and what of Roo?  He or she will be coming home in the midst of NHL playoffs - in Penguins gear.

No comments: