Monday, September 20, 2010
Remembering Damon
A year ago, we went to a graduation party for a dear friend. We stayed, ate, talked and laughed, like we always do with these friends. We drove home to North Canton and got a horrible phone call. We had lost a friend in Afghanistan. We had just been at his brother's graduation party. And now we were going back.
The whirlwind of events that took place in the coming weeks were surreal. TV spotlights, his procession home, his calling hours, his funeral, the service at the cemetery. . .it all added up to one thing. Damon was gone forever.
Through past experience, however, I've learned that grief takes on many stages, and the last of which, for me, is acceptance. For a long time, I have a very hard time believing that I've truly lost this person. Somehow, even though I was there at their funeral, I believe they'll come back. I wait for them to. And someday, something smacks me in the face. A reminder of the truth, the harsh reality. . .
A couple weeks ago I went to my mom's church after spending the weekend for a friend's wedding. Mom still goes to the same church the Pusters have been going to for generations - and so have Winklemans - Damon's family. When we got there, it was so great to see that both of Damon's older brothers were home for church - even his brother still enlisted in the Army and stationed in VA. There they sat, 2 big boys, in the "Winkleman pew". There was something, or more appropriately, someone, missing. He was supposed to be home. His unit had come home. There it was. Bam. It hit me. I knew then that Damon wasn't coming back.
Today I celebrate the life of a man who gave everything for us. He was a true hero. If you want to know more about this amazing man, check out my blog post from June 1 of this year. Here's the link so you don't even have to scroll through to find it. http://rahdefamilygrows.blogspot.com/2010/06/damon.html.
We miss you everyday, Damon, and are so proud to have called you a friend, a brother. We love you.
Take time to remember all those who have paid the ultimate price. Another amazing young man lost his life on September 20th - Corey Kowall. Sending prayers to his family and friends as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment