Monday, September 21, 2009

Sad week

This Monday is very different from the others. I still weighed in. I still went to my Weight Watchers meeting. I just did so with a sad, sad heart. My dear friend, SPC Damon G. Winkleman died serving our country Sunday morning, and he will be so deeply missed. My Weight Watchers leader sent an email out Sunday night that SO FITS with this situation:

"When the first Superman movie came out I was frequently asked 'What is a hero?' My answer was that a hero is someone who commits a courageous action without considering the consequences. Now my definition is completely different. I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve

I think Damon fits both of those criteria. Damon Winkleman was a true hero. He was a boy that I grew up with - ORNERY :), fun and lovable. He was doing amazing things in Afghanistan. He was saving lives - putting his life on the line as an Army medic to save the lives of those he didn't know. I am truly proud to have known him and my heart aches for our loss and the loss his family is feeling.

This week, I do report our weight loss, even though it seems so trivial.

JEN:

Starting date: June 15
Loss since last week: 2.2 pounds
Loss since June 15: 29.4 pounds
Weight to lose to next goal: .6 pounds - SO CLOSE!


MATT:
Starting date: August 10
Loss since last week: No loss this week. Up .8 of a pound. He's sticking with it, though!
Loss since August 10: 18 pounds
Weight to lose to next goal: 2 pounds

We continue to make sure we are healthy and working to get ourselves in the best physical condition we can. We mourn the loss of a friend this week more than anything. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Randy and Janna said...

Jen - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers to his family and friends.