Thursday, March 17, 2011

Please understand

      I want you all to understand where my mind is.  I want you to understand where I'm coming from.  I have a story to tell.

      November 2008, Matt and I decided to start to try to get pregnant.  We didn't get pregnant that first month, I'm guessing some residual birth control left in my system got in the way.  But fertile mertiles that my family tends to be, we were pregnant the 2nd month of trying.  We are so fortunate in that!  We were so excited to find out we would be expecting our first baby in September of 2009.  And our due date was the day before my birthday - so cool.  February 23rd, I found blood.  I knew.  It wasn't right.  That night, after a horrible ER experience, we found out we were miscarrying. 

      We didn't wait long.  We got pregnant again in April, pretty much after one cycle.  I was so worried and cautious, but really thought this one was going to be fine.  Due January 13, 2010.  A new year for this new baby.  Only 8 weeks in, I called, overly cautious, about some spotting that wasn't even red.  Ultrasound showed an empty sac - again.  We had seen it before.  Matt and I cried in that room before we left.  How could this be happening again?

      I was overwhelmed with sadness and decided I was done for a while.  I had gained a lot of weight, partly between the pregnancies, and in the mourning after the 2nd.  It was time to lose some weight and get myself healthy - physically, mentally and spiritually.  We decided, after a lot of talking, we wouldn't try for a year - wait at least a year until the anniversary of our 2nd miscarriage had past. 

      In that year, I lost 75 pounds.  I ran my first 5K (and 2nd, and first 5 mile race).  I was, without a doubt, in the best shape of my life.  Matt and I were on a cloud as a couple.  We grew very close as we learned to deal with the possibility that this could keep happening - and then what?  I wasn't sure that I could survive another loss, let alone multiple losses.  We learned to support each other and knew that we could love each other forever, even if it was without children.

     Matt's birthday, July 21st, 2010, I took a test.  We had been trying just one month, but because I was spoiled by our past fertility success, I was sure we were pregnant.  The test was hard to read (stupid cheap tests), so I bought a more expensive one, took it the next day, and there it was.  A digital read out: PREGNANT.  Here we go. . .again.  I cried tears - tears of joy mixed with tears of extreme fear.

     Our amazing doctor who had helped us through our past 2 losses, and done "voodoo" medicine (as he called it - baby aspirin while trying to conceive and in the 1st trimester and progesterone as soon as we got the positive test) said we would only see him in the first trimester.  He wanted to coach us through this.  At week 5, we had an ultrasound, which was VERY early to see anything.  There was that stupid empty sac again, but we were told not to lose hope.  One week later, week 6 of the pregnancy, we went back.  The ultrasound tech said something that took my breath away: "There's your fetus, and there's the heartbeat".  I still cry thinking about that amazing moment.  For the first time, we had a developing fetus.  We were VERY spoiled by our dear doctor, and got MANY ultrasounds.  Each time, good news.  A healthy, developing baby. 

     Now, here we are.  Today is week 38.  I barely allowed myself to dream that we'd ever be here.  Past "full term", and still developing a healthy baby. 

     When I write on Facebook about taking walks and encouraging this baby to make an "early" appearance, please understand.  I know it's fine, good, and healthy for my baby to stay inside for another 2 weeks, or even more.  I know that my baby can stay safe in there and continue to develop.  I would NEVER, EVER wish for something unhealthy or unsafe for this child.  Please understand that.  But please also understand, these aren't just the ravings of some crazy, uncomfortable, crabby pregnant woman, who just wants her baby "out".  This is the desire of a woman who has waited for 2.5 years to get here.  Someone who has been longing for this child to come home since I saw that first positive pregnancy test in November of 2008.  I have been a mother without a child for that long, and I want to meet my baby and bring him or her home at long last. 

    I love this baby more than any of you will ever know.  So please excuse me being anxious, impatient, and excited about going into labor.  I'm ready.  Truth is, I have been for quite a while. 

4 comments:

Wendy Young said...

I thankfully never had the misfortune you did with getting pregnant, but even without that struggle & heartbreak I know how you feel & don't think you are "bad" in any way for wanting to meet Roo. I loved every minute of both of my pregancies. But I was also very excited to meet the little person I'd been nurturing inside me. I wondered every day what they'd look like and who they'd be.I couldn't wait to just hold them and whisper "I Love You" as I kissed their foreheads. I even have journals I wrote throughout my pregnancies to share with them when they were old enough. I didn't know about your past miscarrages & such, but I remember when I read you were pregnant it just made me REALLY happy and I didn't quite understand why it was a bigger deal that YOU were pregnant over everyone else from school. Guess now I do. I'm SO excited for you and Matt and baby Roo. Congratulations again Jen. I would say enjoy every second, but somehow I believe you already have and will forever :)

Anonymous said...

I did not have the issues that you and many other women face, but I have stood by, watched, gave pep talks and held the hand of a close friend who battled infertility for eight years. After being told they would never have children, they made their peace with that the best they could. Then, there was a pregnancy! It was a real mystery to the doctors and they said that it would end in miscarriage-100%. That baby will turn 18 in June! She's a real miracle! (They do happen!) The second pregnancy was by in vitro and what an emotional and physical roller coaster that was! The end result was so worth it resulting in happy, healthy twins! Those times were some of the toughest that we faced together as friends...we cried together, rejoiced together, you name it and our relationship was cemented forever by those shared experiences; both good and bad. I still believe that God does hand us these "tests" to make us stronger, to give us great people to stand beside us and to perhaps make us appreciate what we do have a bit more. (The positive in all this is your renewed and stronger relationship as a couple.) All I know is that He is good and all things come in His time. You know this. I know you do! I can understand wanting to meet this baby NOW! Hang in there because it won't be long! Once he/she arrives, you will not be able to remember life without them. Stay strong...keep the faith...that baby is coming and you are taking it home!

Jenn Seda said...

Jen,
I don't want to speak for everyone here, but I just wanted to let you know that I think the reason that everyone is commenting about Roo coming early is just that we all know that you are going to be such a great mom and can't wait for you to meet your miracle. No one would ever wish fore something unsafe to happen- we all just want you to be the mommy you have already been.I am so excited for Roo to come and I haven't even known you very long. I can just tell that you and Matt will be so wonderful-- I just want Roo to come when he/she is ready. It really is like a kid on Christmas morning though, waiting impatiently to open their present. We are just excited for Roo--but he can come whenever he darn well pleases! Rest up, Jen..you're gunna need it! I love you!

Beth Yates said...

Jen, you have such an amazing, heart-wrenching, and beautiful story. And although I haven't faced the same pain that you and Matt have, I do know what it is like to have to wait what feels like a lifetime for a good thing. I can't blame you one bit for wanting to meet Roo as soon as possible! I am so happy and excited for you and Matt!