We are all horrified by the events of this week. Boston. Texas. Boston again. I feel like I'm in a constant state of prayer, reaching my heart out to these families, and praying God puts His hands on them.
But what is it about Boston for me? Why do I feel so connected and so devastated by this?
First, I'm a runner. That they could attack a group of people, spectators, family members, who were gathered for such a wonderful, uplifting, and inspiring event - it devastates me and angers me to my core.
Friends. My dear friend, Meredith, lived in Boston for a short time and called it home. She has close friends she loves that are still there, and I know a part of her heart is there. My friend, Cassie, has a sister who lives in Boston. Our friend, Andrew, got married near Boston, a celebration we loved being a part of.
But it comes down to us - Matt and I. Many couples go to exotic locations for their honeymoons. We chose Boston and Baltimore.
We stayed in an apartment that was sublet to a bed and breakfast company, so we stepped out and felt like we were a part of this town. We stayed in the Back Bay neighborhood - this beautiful place with gardens, gorgeous old buildings, statues paying tribute to those lost, and a path to the beautiful Boston Public Gardens. The paths led to the Freedom Trail - we walked part of it on our honeymoon, only to be rained out. When we returned to Boston for Andrew's wedding, we walked the whole thing. The people of Boston, while they are being portrayed (rightly so) as tough and resilient in the news right now, are also so warm and welcoming. Cops smiling and asking us how we like the city, offering Matt patches. And the game. Oh, the game.
We love baseball. If you've been to our house, our basement is a tribute to baseball, the parks we've visited, and the love of the game. With the exception of Indians games, Fenway was the first park Matt and I visited together as a couple. On our honeymoon.
It was a magical park. It's old, it's beaten up, it's small. It was also packed full of people and electric. it was Red Sox vs. Mets. It was Pedro's first trip back to Boston after leaving - standing ovation. Sweet Caroline sung - almost shouted - across the whole stadium. "Let's go Red Sox" followed immediately by "Let's go Mets!" followed immediately by EVERYONE joining in a chorus of "Yankees Suck". And no one should forget the people and their amazing accent talking about the Monster.
I've been to several sporting events, but nothing compared to this (only Indians playoff games came close). The atmosphere was alive and infectious.
Matt and I have debated for years the topic of if we ever had to move to a big city, which would it be? We might not always agree, but it's almost always a debate between Baltimore and Boston...the great honeymoon debate. :)
For me, Boston could be home. For me, this feels personal. They hit our spot, these wonderful people, this strong, resilient, old, tradition-filled town.
I never thought I'd want to try to qualify for a "premier" marathon. I don't know that I ever could. But my combined love for this city and the camaraderie of being a runner gave me enough push to check qualifying times, and training plans, and start thinking.
Hands, touchin' hands - reachin' out, touchin' me - touchin' you...
No comments:
Post a Comment